The term “marketing” might seem very specific or conversely very vague to you. Or maybe you think that if you have no marketing background you can’t do it. To me, marketing involves all the many ways a potential customer can find out about your business. In the most obvious sense, marketing is advertising, but if you look at marketing like I do, then marketing relates to all the following:
- Advertising (duh, I already said that)
- Social media and networking (twitter, facebook, Etsy forums, teams, etc.)
- Printed materials
- Your brand and your logo
- The look and feel of your shop/website
- Product photography
- Listing tags, titles, and descriptions
- Offline word-of-mouth
- Customer service
- Defining your target audience
- Utilizing key stats to your advantage
Some of these things might not immediately fall under the marketing umbrella in your opinion. I like to look at it this way – if I’m working on bettering the appearance or appeal of my products, brand, or logo; improving my tags, SEO rankings, or product photos; spreading the word about my business via whatever method; or even just researching and learning about ways to increase my business efficiencies or better connect to my target customer, then I am marketing. It’s anything that either a) let’s someone find out my business or product exists, or b) encourages a potential or existing customer to make a purchase. That’s what marketing means to me!
If you haven’t already, take some time to look over the Creating a Business Plan series from last year. Several components of the creative business plan relate to marketing your business, including #2, Where can people find my product?, #4, Who will buy my product?, #7, How do I differentiate my product from the competition?, and #8, How do I successfully reach my target customer?
Through this series, we’ll discuss all the many ways you can make marketing magic for your business. As a creative small business owner, you’re probably working on a small (or non-existent) marketing budget. Luckily for us, we work in an age where there are hundreds of free marketing opportunities at our fingertips! So get excited because it’s time to improve your marketing!
What marketing tactics do you swear by? What marketing concepts do you think I left off the list above?
- Create Your Small Business Marketing Plan (hiscoxusa.com)
- Creative Business Plan: #8. How Do I Successfully Reach My Target Customers? (lazyowlboutique.com)
- Internet marketing and Web Design Services for 2013 Online Sales – Business Marketing Power (prleap.com)