Introducing Lazy Owl’s new signature blog series, “Crafting a Business 101”!
In this series, we’ll delve into the planning, organizing, and operations of a creative business. As artists, many of us are more right brain than left brain, but that doesn’t mean we should neglect the business-side of our creative ventures! It’s my goal to use this series to simplify and breakdown the processes and concepts behind efficiently and effectively running your creative business. Who knows, maybe I’ll even be able to de-mystify complex but important concepts like pricing strategies, taxes, and bookkeeping!
Our Crafting a Business 101 series begins with articles on drafting your creative business plan, whether you’re just starting out or an experienced seller. I’ve developed a system I like to call the 6 W’s and the 2 H’s (very creative right?):
- Business Plan intro
- Why do I want to sell my product?
- Where can people find my product?
- What am I selling?
- Who will buy my product?
- When do people use my product?
- Why should someone use my product?
- How do I distinguish my products from the competition?
- How do I successfully reach my target customer?
Goal-setting & Planning:
- Your ideal workday
- A year in reflection: what have you accomplished?
- Setting business goals for 2013
Creative Accounting: Financial Basics for Creative Business Owners & Etsy Entrepreneurs
- Keeping records and bookkeeping
- Keeping track of expenses
- What is overhead and why is it important to creative business owners?
Marketing Magic: Marketing Tips for Creative Business Owners on a Budget
Many of the Crafting a Business 101 articles include free downloadable printable pdf files that you can fill out on your own.
Stay tuned for future articles on drafting business and marketing plans, SEO and relevancy, strategies for selling in an over-saturated market, capitalizing on customer service, pricing strategies, reaching your target audience, and more.
Lazy Owl will offer articles, tips, and downloadable worksheets to advance you on your journey as a crafty entrepreneur. Stay tuned for tidbits and freebies!